Illustrated Guide to
of New Zealand
Weeds of New Zealand
by Ian Popay, Paul Champion & Trevor James
ISBN 0 473 09760 5
by kind permission of the
Zealand Plant Protection Society
Publication or other use of images or descriptive
text on these pages is unauthorised unless written permission is
obtained from the authors and publisher.
of the publication Common Weeds of New Zealand must always
Available from Touchwood
mat-forming perennial, often in dense colonies that exclude all
other vegetation. Each flower stalk carries one large yellow composite
flower head. The leaves have long hairs on the upper surface, and
are downy white with star-shaped hairs on the undersides.
Lemon-yellow, about 3 cm in diameter, solitary on leafless stalks.
The florets often have a red stripe the on outer surface. Flowers
Purplish-black achenes, about 2 mm by 0.5 mm, with off-white,
simple brittle pappus hairs 5-6 mm long in a single row.
Dense rosette leaves are 5-8 cm long, almost entire, bluish-green.
Leaves with scattered long hairs about 5 mm long on the upper
surface, white with dense star-shaped hairs on undersides.
Slender, unbranched flower stalks 10-25 cm tall and slender, creeping,
hairy stolons spreading along the ground surface.
Creeping underground rhizomes.
and dry pasture land, river flats and terraces, road-sides and
Increasing in NI in
Rotorua, Volcanic Plateau, Lake Waikaremoana, Kaimanawa and Ruahine
Ranges and in Hawkes Bay. Common throughout SI and, except for
Nelson, abundant in upper Waitaki Valley. Originally from Europe,
north and central Asia.
A major weed of SI
High Country pastures. Can be controlled by pasture improvement.
Separated from other, similar species, by its large, solitary,
pale yellow flowers and dense star-shaped hairs on stolons and
undersides of leaves. Subject to Pest Plant Management Strategies
in one or more regions. Check with the regional council for details.
of botanical name
from the Gr. name for hawk, since Pliny, the Roman naturalist
believed hawks ate the plant to strengthen their eyesight; pilosella
(Lat.) = with short soft hairs.
On this site
Reproduced from Common Weeds
of New Zealand:
- Weedbusters is a weeds awareness and education programme that aims to
protect New Zealand's environment from the increasing weed problem.
- A free tool to assist farmers and agricultural professionals in decision-making regarding weed and pest identification, biology, impact and management.
- New Zealand Weeds Key
- An interactive identification key to the weeds of New Zealand. Developed at Landcare Research.
Zealand Plant Conservation Network naturalised plants
- Search for information on more than 2500 naturalise and weedy plants.
Zealand Plant Protection Society
- Their main objective: "To pool and exchange information on the biology
of weeds, invertebrate and vertebrate pests, pathogens and beneficial organisms
and methods for modifying their effects."
University Weeds Database
- A site providing information about New Zealand weeds and weed control.
It has a series of pages showing pictures of New Zealand weeds, notes on
identification and control. It also provides information on a university
paper entitled Controlling Weeds.
- Weeds in Australia
- Weeds website of the Australian Government.
Society of Victoria
- Promoting wider awareness and interest in weeds and their management.
Includes a useful page of links
to other weed societies.
Valley Weeds Strategy
- Listing of common and botanical names, images, and information including
control methods for weeds found in Tasmania, and also weeds of national significance.
and Exotic Species of North America
- Images and other information from the University of Georgia.
- Weed-related resources including weed science, practical tools, gardening
tips about controlling weeds, and environmental news updates.
Species Specialist Group
- "The ISSG aims to reduce threats to natural ecosystems and the native
species they contain by increasing awareness of invasive alien species,
and of ways to prevent, control or eradicate them."
- Site that includes a comprehensive collection of weed images from around
on Weeds from FetchBook.Info