Illustrated Guide to
of New Zealand
Weeds of New Zealand
by Ian Popay, Paul Champion & Trevor James
ISBN 0 473 09760 5
by kind permission of the
Zealand Plant Protection Society
Publication or other use of images or descriptive
text on these pages is unauthorised unless written permission is
obtained from the authors and publisher.
of the publication Common Weeds of New Zealand must always
Available from Touchwood
erect, woody, evergreen perennial. Coastal shrub and hedge plant
up to 6 m tall, with strong spines at the tips of the branches.
Flowers white or pale mauve, followed by 10 mm wide orange-red berries.
Whitish to pale mauve, 10-12 mm in diameter, slender corolla tube
10-13 mm long. Flowers Jul-Mar.
Poisonous orange-red round berries 5-12
mm in diameter. Seeds dispersed by birds.
Narrow, oblong, up to 40 mm long by 12 mm wide, hairless, almost
stalkless. Alternate on young shoots, in clusters on mature stems.
Tough, woody, alternately branched, with strong 13 mm terminal
waste places, sand dunes and coastal places.
Common as stock-proof
hedging in dairying districts of coastal Auckland and Taranaki
in NI. Occasional in coastal localities in SI as far south as
Foveaux Strait. Originally from South Africa.
Used as an excellent
hedging plant in some areas, and rarely spreads into good pasture,
but is a troublesome weed in some broken country. Subject to Pest
Plant Management Strategies in several regions of NZ. Details
are available from individual regional councils or unitary authorities.
name for a thorny tree; ferocissimum (Lat.) = very savage.
On this site
Reproduced from Common Weeds
of New Zealand:
- Weedbusters is a weeds awareness and education programme that aims to
protect New Zealand's environment from the increasing weed problem.
- A free tool to assist farmers and agricultural professionals in decision-making regarding weed and pest identification, biology, impact and management.
- New Zealand Weeds Key
- An interactive identification key to the weeds of New Zealand. Developed at Landcare Research.
Zealand Plant Conservation Network naturalised plants
- Search for information on more than 2500 naturalise and weedy plants.
Zealand Plant Protection Society
- Their main objective: "To pool and exchange information on the biology
of weeds, invertebrate and vertebrate pests, pathogens and beneficial organisms
and methods for modifying their effects."
University Weeds Database
- A site providing information about New Zealand weeds and weed control.
It has a series of pages showing pictures of New Zealand weeds, notes on
identification and control. It also provides information on a university
paper entitled Controlling Weeds.
- Weeds in Australia
- Weeds website of the Australian Government.
Society of Victoria
- Promoting wider awareness and interest in weeds and their management.
Includes a useful page of links
to other weed societies.
Valley Weeds Strategy
- Listing of common and botanical names, images, and information including
control methods for weeds found in Tasmania, and also weeds of national significance.
and Exotic Species of North America
- Images and other information from the University of Georgia.
- Weed-related resources including weed science, practical tools, gardening
tips about controlling weeds, and environmental news updates.
Species Specialist Group
- "The ISSG aims to reduce threats to natural ecosystems and the native
species they contain by increasing awareness of invasive alien species,
and of ways to prevent, control or eradicate them."
- Site that includes a comprehensive collection of weed images from around
on Weeds from FetchBook.Info