Illustrated Guide to
of New Zealand
Weeds of New Zealand
by Ian Popay, Paul Champion & Trevor James
ISBN 0 473 09760 5
by kind permission of the
Zealand Plant Protection Society
Publication or other use of images or descriptive
text on these pages is unauthorised unless written permission is
obtained from the authors and publisher.
of the publication Common Weeds of New Zealand must always
Available from Touchwood
shrub up to 2 m or more tall, with bright yellow composite flowers
in clusters and smooth, leathery, entire leaves.
- Flowers Bright
yellow, 25-30 mm in diameter, in loose branched corymbs. Individual
flowers with five to six ray florets 13 mm long and numerous disk
florets. Flowers Sep-Feb.
- Fruit Almost
round, green drupes 6-9 mm in diameter, very hard with a thin
fleshy covering. Turning black when ripe.
- Leaves Smooth,
leathery, oval to elliptical, up to 7 cm long by 3.5 cm wide,
irregularly serrate with three to nine teeth per side. Leaf tips
pointed or blunt.
- Stems Ribbed,
woolly when young, but soon becoming smooth.
Coastal cliffs, waste
places, scrubland and road-sides.
Frequent in coastal
NI localities, and also in Nelson City, Port Hills (Christchurch)
and Otago Peninsula in SI. Originally from south-west Cape area
of South Africa.
A common weed in Australia
and seems to be increasing in NZ. Listed on the National
Pest Plant Accord (see Introduction for details).
of botanical name
(Gr.) = like chrysanthemum; monilifera (Lat.) bearing
On this site
Reproduced from Common Weeds
of New Zealand:
- Weedbusters is a weeds awareness and education programme that aims to
protect New Zealand's environment from the increasing weed problem.
- A free tool to assist farmers and agricultural professionals in decision-making regarding weed and pest identification, biology, impact and management.
- New Zealand Weeds Key
- An interactive identification key to the weeds of New Zealand. Developed at Landcare Research.
Zealand Plant Conservation Network naturalised plants
- Search for information on more than 2500 naturalise and weedy plants.
Zealand Plant Protection Society
- Their main objective: "To pool and exchange information on the biology
of weeds, invertebrate and vertebrate pests, pathogens and beneficial organisms
and methods for modifying their effects."
University Weeds Database
- A site providing information about New Zealand weeds and weed control.
It has a series of pages showing pictures of New Zealand weeds, notes on
identification and control. It also provides information on a university
paper entitled Controlling Weeds.
- Weeds in Australia
- Weeds website of the Australian Government.
Society of Victoria
- Promoting wider awareness and interest in weeds and their management.
Includes a useful page of links
to other weed societies.
Valley Weeds Strategy
- Listing of common and botanical names, images, and information including
control methods for weeds found in Tasmania, and also weeds of national significance.
and Exotic Species of North America
- Images and other information from the University of Georgia.
- Weed-related resources including weed science, practical tools, gardening
tips about controlling weeds, and environmental news updates.
Species Specialist Group
- "The ISSG aims to reduce threats to natural ecosystems and the native
species they contain by increasing awareness of invasive alien species,
and of ways to prevent, control or eradicate them."
- Site that includes a comprehensive collection of weed images from around
on Weeds from FetchBook.Info