Illustrated Guide to
of New Zealand
Weeds of New Zealand
by Ian Popay, Paul Champion & Trevor James
ISBN 0 473 09760 5
by kind permission of the
Zealand Plant Protection Society
Publication or other use of images or descriptive
text on these pages is unauthorised unless written permission is
obtained from the authors and publisher.
of the publication Common Weeds of New Zealand must always
Available from Touchwood
Trailing or straggling
herb or shrub, with shining leaves, purple underneath. Flowers white,
with purple dots inside the lower lip. Spreads vegetatively by runners.
Commonly grown in houses and gardens.
- Flowers Inflorescence
raceme-like, up to 30 cm long, sometimes with short branches near
the base. Corolla tube white, about 1 cm long, with two-lobed
upper lip and purple dots inside the lower lip. Flowers Dec-Aug.
- Fruit Dark
brown nutlets about 1.5 mm in diameter.
- Leaves In
opposite pairs, shining, purple underneath, dotted with glands,
hairy especially on veins, 5-12 cm long by 3.5-7 cm wide. Leaf
stalks 20-35 mm long.
- Stems Trailing
or straggling, covered in purple hairs.
- Roots Spreads
vegetatively by runners.
Shady areas in and
around forest margins, plantations and hedges.
Locally abundant in
NI. In SI, only found around Karamea (Buller). Originally from
eastern South Africa.
as a trailing pot plant, and still widely grown in gardens and
houses. Listed on the National Pest
Plant Accord (see Introduction for details).
and similar species
A close relative of
plectranthus, Plectranthus ecklonii (blue spur flower),
is widely grown in NZ, but is rarely found growing wild. It is
also subject to Pest Plant Management Strategies in several regions
of NZ. Details are available from individual regional councils
or unitary authorities. Wood sage (Teucrium scorodonia)
is another hairy, rhizomatous labiate found on forest margins,
scrub and plantations, lacking purple-coloured foliage, flowers
green with purple stamens on a terminal spike, scattered throughout,
only common in northern SI.
of botanical name
= spurred flower; ciliatus (Lat.) = hairy.
On this site
Reproduced from Common Weeds
of New Zealand:
- Weedbusters is a weeds awareness and education programme that aims to
protect New Zealand's environment from the increasing weed problem.
- A free tool to assist farmers and agricultural professionals in decision-making regarding weed and pest identification, biology, impact and management.
- New Zealand Weeds Key
- An interactive identification key to the weeds of New Zealand. Developed at Landcare Research.
Zealand Plant Conservation Network naturalised plants
- Search for information on more than 2500 naturalise and weedy plants.
Zealand Plant Protection Society
- Their main objective: "To pool and exchange information on the biology
of weeds, invertebrate and vertebrate pests, pathogens and beneficial organisms
and methods for modifying their effects."
University Weeds Database
- A site providing information about New Zealand weeds and weed control.
It has a series of pages showing pictures of New Zealand weeds, notes on
identification and control. It also provides information on a university
paper entitled Controlling Weeds.
- Weeds in Australia
- Weeds website of the Australian Government.
Society of Victoria
- Promoting wider awareness and interest in weeds and their management.
Includes a useful page of links
to other weed societies.
Valley Weeds Strategy
- Listing of common and botanical names, images, and information including
control methods for weeds found in Tasmania, and also weeds of national significance.
and Exotic Species of North America
- Images and other information from the University of Georgia.
- Weed-related resources including weed science, practical tools, gardening
tips about controlling weeds, and environmental news updates.
Species Specialist Group
- "The ISSG aims to reduce threats to natural ecosystems and the native
species they contain by increasing awareness of invasive alien species,
and of ways to prevent, control or eradicate them."
- Site that includes a comprehensive collection of weed images from around
on Weeds from FetchBook.Info