Here is a brief timeline
on the establishment of the RNZIH:
- 18 July 1923:
"The New Zealand Institute of Horticulture" was incorporated.
- 15 September 1926:
At the executive meeting on this day Dr Leonard Cockayne moved
that the annual public lecture be known as the "Banks Lecture"
in honour of Sir Joseph Banks who was one of the most famous botanists
to visit New Zealand.
- 6 October 1927:
"The NZ Institute of Horticulture Act 1927" passed its final reading.
The Act made provision for the Institute to grant Certificates
and Diplomas in Horticulture.
- 15 May 1929:
the national executive meeting recommended the publication of
a quarterly journal to be called "The Journal of the Institute
- 1939: The Institute
was granted a "Royal Charter", and the national executive adopted
the name "The Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture".
And during the last decade:
- October 2000: This website was redesigned and upgraded by Murray Dawson.
- 17 March 2003:
The RNZIH New Zealand Gardens Trust was established.
- 11 March 2004:
The RNZIH Education Trust was established.
The RNZIH New Zealand Notable Trees Trust was established.
Home | Journal | Newsletter | Conferences
Awards | Join
RNZIH | RNZIH Directory | Links
Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture
Last updated: August 8, 2010