As a horticulturist and Parks and Recreation Manager, Conservation Manager, Heritage Property Manager and adviser, Alan has managed a range of Botanic Gardens, Parks, Recreation, and Heritage Places for more than 28 years.
Within Tertiary Education, for more than 18 years he has been a Principal Lecturer teaching (Recreation, Tourism, Marketing, Leisure, Research Methods, Management) and held Senior Management roles (Acting Dean, Associate Dean) in commerce, tourism, and innovation as well as Administration Services Manager in Civil and Natural Resources Engineering and as College Operations Manager in the College of Engineering.
He is interested in future trends and ideas that will enable people to enjoy living in a world which looks after all its resources.
- MSc, Indiana University (USA) in Parks and Recreation Management
- NDH (Hons)
- Diploma in Parks and Recreation Administration
- Certificate in Adult Teaching
& Professional Associations
- Royal NZ
Institute of Horticulture (FRIH)
- Te Kohaka O Tuhaitara Trust (Trustee)
- Christchurch Garden City Trust (Trustee)
Group & Society Memberships
- Royal NZ
Institute of Horticulture (Executive Member and past National Chairman)
- Canterbury Horticultural Society (Vice President)
- NZ Recreation Association (Fellow)
- NZ Institute of Management (Associate Member)