Tom Mayo is a Wellingtonian, graduating from the Landscape Architecture program at Victoria University in 2012. During his studies he became interested in food production networks and the urban agriculture movement. He spent the next few years in Bristol, UK, involved in community urban agronomy projects before returning home to Wellington in late 2015 to pursue a career in horticulture and plant conservation inspired by local conservationist Chris Horne.
Tom has completed a horticultural apprenticeship and has worked with Wellington Botanic Gardens, Otari Wilton’s Bush, Berhampore Nursery and the WCC City Horticulture team. Most recently he has been working in Wellington’s Parks & Gardens team maintaining native bush and tracks across the region. He spends time outside of work enjoying botanising and assisting in propagating for conservation efforts.
- BDes. Landscape Architecture
- Cert. Amenity Horticulture
- Cert. Nursery Production
& Professional Associations
- New Zealand Plant Conservation Network
- New Zealand Botanical Society
- Wellington Botanical Society
- International Plant Propagators’ Society – New Zealand Region
- Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture